Saturday, February 17, 2007

Thankee Sai

I've just received my copies of The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born and accompanying sketchbook from Marvel Comics. For the unititiated, Stephen King's The Dark Tower series is the only story he's ever written. All the other stories are bits and pieces of the larger universe in which he writes. I had started espousing this view in the early nineties, but was pleasantly surprised to find that I wasn't grasping at straws when King admitted he interconnection of his work in an epilouge to Insomnia. Since then, a number of guides have become available to document the rich detail of King's imagination, most significantly the Complete Guide to the Works of Stephen King, The Stephen King Universe, and The Road to the Dark Tower.

I'm looking forward to reading King's version of Roland's prehistory, but I know that the read will also be a little sad because it won't be my version of Roland's story. OK, so it's not totally mine...it was a sort of "writer's roulette" on-line RPG that started out at OneList.com (later absorbed into Yahoo! Groups); other contributors were Dennis, Jill, Juli, Karen and Tracy.. My apologies for the horrible site layout, etc.

At any rate, I'm grateful that King hasn't quite mothballed the typewriter yet. Thankee Sai!

Die-hard King fans might be interested in joining SKEMERs.

No comments: